Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It all starts here.....

It's been a few years since I've dug into the world of journalism and just generally writing, so I know that I'm a bit rusty. It's my ultimate goal in life to be a history researcher/journalist, so it seems obvious that I need to write and get out there and actually do some research, talk to people, and write about what I find out there. What better way to get into the swing of things to find my "voice" and simply start up a blog and dig into the thick of things

I'm currently in the process of getting my bachelors degree while I'm busy with earning a paycheck. So, the best best to do that is by studying online for my degree in history through Regent University, an excellent Christian university based out of Virginia Beach, Virginia. Once I finish with getting my history degree, I plan on getting my masters degree and from the look of things, journalism seems like one of the best routes of action. Still looking at the matter, so will have to see if history will work or not. It's for the simple reason that I wish for my masters degree to focus on 19th century America or something involving American society in the 19th and early 20th century. I've always been curious to know how we got to where we are today, and the best way to learn that, is by studying the past. While taking a history course that studied the Jeffersonian/Jacksonian Era, I realized that there were some ties to more recent events that seemed fairly similar.

I've always taken life as it comes, but I've realized that simple road needs to come to an end, because it hasn't really gotten me anywhere...... I have an associates degree in business after majoring in Travel/Tourism, which I got straight after high school, not fully realizing until it was much too late that travel was just a major hobby/obsession of mine. After that, I was planning to study Sociology when I decided to write for Northern Illinois University's campus newspaper. It was during my time at the newspaper in between classes that I had found my true passion in being able to write news stories.  I even became the Editor-in-Chief of a small community campus newspaper for awhile and despite the headaches, it was a true adventure because I put something together every week, all on my own. It wasn't anything truly spectacular, considering the small college was literally in the middle of a cornfield.

Anyways, what I wish for this blog to be about is a focus on several items: my history research, work on news articles about the world at large, and just random tidbits between projects or projects that are works in progress.

It all starts here, so here goes nothing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment