Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 22, 2011

Chasing Lincoln's Ghost - An Elusive Adventure

Poor ol' Lincoln - behind a cage and guarded by two dogs hungry for someone's.... balls?


Ever since going to a Journalism Conference in Charleston, Illinois and discovering that there was a massive 72 foot tall Abraham Lincoln statue on the outskirts of town, I've been curious to see this "World's Ugliest Lincoln Statue." My very first attempt at trying to find the thing, gave me the nickname of "The Navigator" by a fellow journalism classmate. A bit ironic, due to the fact that I failed to find it with my crew of fellow travelers.

But, on my way back from a visit to Evansville, Indiana, I found myself driving through Charleston and I passively mentioned the statue and since we had plenty of time on our hands, we decided to find the statue.

After a couple of wrong turns here and there, we finally found the place. But, due to the state-of-the-art Lincoln Springs Hotel shut down and tall fences around the entire thing, there was no way of gaining access to the statue - at least, not a close up view. I had to take this picture, from the comfort of passenger seat of the car, due to the fact that two dogs were chasing our car the entire time. The scene reminded us of the movie, Stand By Me, where Chopper was at the ready to "sic balls" when called upon by his owner. We definitely didn't want to risk a pit bull biting at our ass.

Hopefully Lincoln Springs Hotel will open up again, because from the look of things, it was a very nice complex, looking brand new.

Here's a better view of the Lincoln statue from Silly America




No comments:

Post a Comment